At Suffolk Counseling Services, many of our adult clients are going through stressful experiences that tend to evoke challenging emotions. And when we look at the demands of life and the circumstances of the times we are living in, it is easy to see why this happens to so many people. These are adults experiencing stress, fear, concern, or may be overwhelmed about specific issues pertaining to their lives.
Counseling for Stress & Life Transitions
Issues like this are commonly related to life transitions or difficulties like:
- Career changes and uncertainty
- Monetary stress
- Relationship changes (e.g. divorce or separation)
- Caregiver fatigue (when caring for aging family members)
- Loss of a loved one
- Children moving out of the house
Is Counseling Right for Me?
Many people struggling through difficult life events are hesitant to seek counseling and this happens for a variety of reasons. One of the most common reasons is the belief that counseling cannot make issues go away. And while it is true that counseling will not get rid of life’s obstacles, counseling can help you find healthy ways to navigate through them, making these obstacles manageable.
How Can Counseling Help Me?
At Suffolk Counseling Services, all of our licensed therapists believe in the individual’s innate ability to overcome their stresses and live a peaceful and fulfilling life. Your therapist will listen to your concerns without judgement, providing you with a safe environment to express yourself. We approach your specific situation with the sensitivity, compassion, and professionalism necessary for a positive outcome. Early in the counseling process, your therapist will guide your conversations with thoughtful questions, getting to know you while gaining a better understanding on what it is that you are experiencing. As the counseling continues, you will find yourself bringing up your own topics, concerns, victories, and struggles to your therapist.
Your therapist will work with you directly and help you with the following:
- Education about what you are going through
- Healthy ways to help alleviate stress
- Methods and skills to help you manage the difficult life situations you are experiencing
- Assistance with processing and understanding difficult life situations and guiding you towards effectively resolving them
- Techniques that promote healthy communication
- Comprehending the role your environment plays in your emotional health
Your therapist will use a variety of researched and proven therapeutic methods in their work with you including but not limited to:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Practicing mindfulness
- Positive psychology
- Person-in-environment and family systems models